Conceptual thought can be perceived as a miracle. Have you ever made the attempt to encapsulate a miracle? This is my attempt...

18 June 2011

Week 1.143

Well, I have been away from home for a complete week (Sat morn to Sat morn). So, without further delay:

Day 1 - June 11: I hit the road at 8am. I drove and drove and drove. I took pictures and tweeted while I drove. I listened to the epic Vagabond Mixtape. I reached my first destination: Erie/Denver, CO. I visited with some relatives and went to dinner downtown with them. It was an honor to spend time with them (Shout out to the Bohns!) and walk the streets of such an incredible city and try to help a person or two. Then it was back on the road! Granted, I did get lost trying to get out of of the city... cause it was a big complicated one... Regardless, I drove and drove until I hit Sterling, Colorado. Sterling was where I slept... In the back of an LDS church parking lot in the back of my car.

Day 2 - June 12: I was able to stay for church in Sterling, which was a ward conference. I must say that the Stake President in that area is a spiritual rock star. He shared some of the most incredible messages I have heard in a long time! And they were much needed messages too, so that was even better!
After church, I hit the road again and drove through the road-trippers nightmare: Nebraska. It wasn't as bad as I had imagined it to be, but it was still pretty dang flat. I landed in Lincoln much earlier than I had planned, so I had lots of time for some relaxing and partying with my buddy Cody Oppermann. I got a nice tour of downtown Lincoln and the campus. Then we went home and watched the (Brown) Tony Bracelet DVD from Invisible Children. Good times were had by all! I got to crash on his comfy couch instead of my highly uncomfortable car. Thank you Cody!

Day 3 - June 13: After arising bright and early for the third day in a row (probably a record!), I hopped in my beautiful vehicle and headed eastward! As I drove over the Missouri River into Iowa, the rivers had been flooding, so I had to drive on the side-ish part of the road, since the other half of the freeway was covered in river. Yeah...
On this day, I drove through 4 states before noon. Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Missouri. I stopped in Kansas City and wandered - trying to share my message of the Vagabond Tour. Harder than I thought. I left the city sweaty (HUMID!!!) and a little discouraged (I am not a missionary any more) and full of secondhand smoke (maybe I just came at the wrong time, but I was AMAZED at how many smokers there were. DANG.)
A little while later, I landed in the wonderful city of St. Louis! I went directly to the home of a gentleman I ran into on my mission by the name of Eddie Byrd! It was so good to visit with him! During our visit, I was able to show him the (Grey) Rescue Bracelet DVD and we had a nice little discussion afterwards on it. Schweet!
After leaving Eddies, I headed on over to a friend from college who happens to be living just outside of St. Louis: JaNae Stoddard. Talk about a freakin' rockstar (and a great story teller). We talked about the Vagabond Tour, religion, diversity, LGBT topics, cicadas, Invisible Children, and a plethora of other things. I must say that she was an EXCELLENT host (I slept on their couch). Thanks JaNae and friends for the great time.

Day 4 - June 14: To continue the record, I arose early, got ready, and snuck out while everyone was still sleeping, only to be faced with a long stretch of old pavement. While I drove a minivan drove by and a couple kids in the back seat took a bunch of pictures of me with their camera. OK? I was hoping they would post them on the facebook page, but nope.
Fast forward a wee bit and I roll on in to Kentucky! The greatest place on earth! I drive in and the first thing I see: The West End (of Louisville). I would have it no other way. :)
I didn't stop in the West End though, but rather headed back up into Indiana. I went to visit the one and only Marie Robertson of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church. Marie is one of the most charitable people ever. She is getting on the older side, and needs knee surgery, so she has been down and out for a bit - please pray for her health and Gods will for her. It was an excellent visit!
After that, I headed to the glorious West End. I was able to spend some time with Jerry Cox and Jim Coombs (awesome Portlanders). Then, I went on a search to find another person I had worked with and baptized as a missionary. I tried to find his number... it was shut off. I tried to stop by his old place... nobody was there. I tried finding his new place - He had mentioned the last time I talked with him that he had moved to a certain street - I drove up and down the street a couple times, then got out of the car and started talking to anything that moved if they knew him... no success. Finally, I thought I would go try a phone book at a gas station... no good. All that work and I wasn't able to see him. Super bummed. BUT! When I was leaving the gas station, I ran into someone I had known from way back when! We talked for a while, and I ended up going over to visit him and the family later on that day. What are the odds of running into someone at a gas station?! It was crazy.
After my run in at the gas station, I went over to see if my favorite person - Mike Thompson - was still living in the same place. As I was going up the stairs, a neighbor told me he wasn't there, but down at the liquor store on the corner... I went down there and found him sitting in the liquor store, smoking a cigarette and drinking. "Hey you're that Mormon boy, right?" We talked for a while and then were eventually on our way. It was sad to see him in the state he was in... Hmmm...
As I was headed to another church parking lot to sleep, I remembered that I was supposed to be on TV the next morning, so I tried calling my friend who had set it up to get the details. When she heard that I was in the West End and headed to sleep in a church parking lot, she used some strong language to tell me otherwise. I ended up sleeping in her guest room. Thanks Tara! I have such amazing friends.

Day 5 - June 15: For breakfast, Tara and I went to Nancy's Bagels, which was where we first met one fateful day in 2008. Afterwards, we cruised on over to the studio and I awaited my time on the air. I ended up going on and we talked about my experience coming home from an LDS mission and trying to stay actively involved in the community, first by starting Project: 1200 and then by now going on The Vagabond Tour. We talked about Project: 1200 for a bit and then talked about Invisible Children. It was such a great opportunity to have air time! (ps - I went on right before Paula Dean).
After the show, I headed to the mission office and mission home. I was able to do my own little "going home" interview with President and Sister Glende, since they are going home in a week or so. After our discussion, President Glende gave me a blessing and sent me on my way. It was such an honor to spend time with such an amazing couple.
I then hit the road for a drive out to the country to visit the Toombs family at their new home in the middle of nowhere. I got a little lost, and while trying to find the house, I totally saw a few goats kickin' it IN a broken down van on the side of the road. It was hilarious and definitely something you only see in the country. The visit with the Toombs (when I finally found them) was great!
I had to cruise back in to Louisville QUICKLY to make it to see the Gabays before they got too busy. It was a short visit, but definitely a nice one. (PS - Thanks for the pizza!)
My last stop in Louisville was the Emge residence. I crashed their dinner and was granted a delicious homemade popsicle. I even got to visit Brother Hanson, since he was over for dinner, and Newborn Emge, who... kind of just laid there the whole time. ;)
Then it was on the road again...
I arrived in Lexington pretty late in the evening and had a fantastic conversation with Armando Chavez, a close friend that I had met while a missionary. He actually managed the apartments that we lived in, so we saw him quite often.
Then... I slept.

Day 6 - June 16: After breakfast with Armando, he went to work and my explorations began.  I headed over to the Lighthouse Ministries just in time to help out serve lunch to those in need. Lighthouse Ministries is a little organization that we did service with every week while in Lexington. Though nobody I knew was there, the familiar routine and experience was definitely a great one.
I had to leave a little early so that I could catch some lunch for myself. This time, with Armando and the LDS missionaries. We went to Ramsey's, which has the Veggie Hot Brown - the worlds greatest dish. I don't think I have ever eaten anything so wonderful (so, of course I had to get it again)!
Afterwards, we all went our separate ways again, and I was able to meet up with Tyler Isaacs and Curtis Blevins (and Company) for a while. I baptized Tyler many many moons ago! Needless to say, it was great to see the gang.
Next, I went to the Blancett household! What an awesome and energetic family! It started off an empty home except for Tara, then as we were talking, people slowly showed up. About that time, Tara decided to call the missionaries over for dinner, followed by her and I going to pick them up.
After the food, I took the missionaries teaching! We taught a super intelligent lady named... Margurite? I dunno how exactly to spell her, but the whole thing was AMAZING. She accepted the invitation to be baptized when she knew things were true, and had a highly impressive vocabulary for her age. :)
When that glorious experience was finished, Armando and myself headed back over to the Blancett's, where we played cards and talked till about 1am! DANG!

Day 7 - June 17th: Woke up bright and early and headed over to visit with Steve Coffin, a guy I met in Winchester Kentucky. We talked about all kinds of things... The environment, changing the world, protests, Invisible Children, and about The Vagabond Tour. Then, we watched the (black) Sunday Bracelet DVD from Invisible Children and had a discussion on that. Good times had by all!
Following that visit, I met up with Armando and went to an Indian Restaurant for lunch, followed by our final farewell. Then I was off to Winchester!
In Winchester, I tried stopping by an old friend (who had moved, of course!) and then visited the old Winchester LDS Bishop's home. His daughter was home, and after a nice little conversation with her, I headed out with a plan to return for dinner.
I then called the missionaries and spent the next few hours with them. We knocked door after door. It was such a fantastic opportunity to go tracting again! We had some good conversation and has given me a brighter outlook on how things are going in this world! Missionary work is probably the greatest thing on the planet...
When my time with the missionaries were up, I headed back over to the Wells home and visited with them for quite a while! Over dinner, we talked about road trips, causes, Project: 1200 and a TON of other things. I got to hear some pretty crazy stories from the lives of the Wells. That night, I watched the (red) Emmy Bracelet DVD from Invisible Children with Nicole and had a pretty good chat about Invisible Children afterwards. I gotta say that the Wells are amazing people! Everyone I have had a chance to visit with have been OFF DA HOOK incredible. 'Nuff said.

THE END (of week 1)

---

Though it isn't part of the first week, I figured I would give a current update as well. I am sitting in the parking lot of McDonalds in Knoxvill, TN. This morning I visited with the Packs in Winchester, and this evening I will be visiting with (Elder) Kelton Gubler - From NSL, UT but serving an LDS mission in Cornelia, GA. I just had a heck of a drive to get to Knoxville, seeing as it has been storming something terrible since this morning. I have never hydroplaned like I have today. These roads are not suitable for driving in these conditions... but alas, I drive anyway!
I just got done chit chatting with a nice lady from Alaska about The Praise Project, Invisible Children, The Tour, and her story as a Native American fashionista/healer/smoker. It was definitely an interesting experience!
Alrighty then... my break time is definitely up. I think the storm I just drove through has passed on to my next stretch of road, so I will probably be driving in bad weather all over again! Woot!

Stay safe and healthy. Be good and kind. Take care!

peter.moosman.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like it's an incredible adventure! So grateful for the update. Also grateful for so many awesome people in this world!!!...including my son!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your getting some really great "life" experiences. You be safe and keep[ on keepin' on.
    Love
    Teri Perry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im also glad there are such kind people out there to take my little bro in. Drive safe out there! Cant wait to hear another update.

    ReplyDelete