Conceptual thought can be perceived as a miracle. Have you ever made the attempt to encapsulate a miracle? This is my attempt...

18 January 2011

Around These Parts, It's Called "Growing Up"

A lot of my posts are about change. I suppose it may be due to the fact that I am changing: My [dis]likes, my style, my hobbies, etc.

Some say that it is because I am growing up. Whether that is true or not, I cannot say. Growing up or paying attention... whatever you wanna call it, it is happening.

With that said, the most recent acknowledgement to my "growing up" is a slight change in music likes... ok, lets get serious, it is solely dislikes. I have been listening to some music lately and thought, "you know what? I could never hear this band again and be completely ok with that." Let me share with you the list. Yes, THE LIST.

***Note: The bands mentioned below are all bands that I once listened to. Recently I have realized that, as mentioned above, "I could never hear this band again and be completely ok with that."***

Beastie Boys
"Sabotage" came on the radio the other day and I paused for a moment to listen to what was transpiring: The Beastie Boys are really obnoxious. End of story. They don't sing, but rather perform with a hybrid shout/whine/imitate a dying pig. There was so much random noise to serenade the awful tone of their voice that I had to change the station. Just then, all of their music replayed in my head, and it was far from a pleasant experience. My least favorite of the Beastie Boys is the song, "Girls." What a degrading, shallow, and tasteless piece of composition. Beastie Boys win the Most Obnoxious Music award.


Nirvana
Kings of Grunge, Nirvana is a poster-band for the 90's. Just like any other tragic death, Cobain's drove the band to new heights. If he would have maintained life, I am sure the band would have faded out quickly. Alas, it must have been the "clout" that Nirvana fans had in the music world that lead me to my acquaintance with the band, but I never seemed to connect with the obscure lyrics and what I consider to be the worst voice in music history.



Nine Inch Nails
I don't really have much to say about NIN, other than whenever they come on the radio, I find myself dry heaving and changing the station. All of their lyrics are negative and/or inappropriate, and the overall mood that is set while their music is playing is disheartening.

Jack Johnson
Every song is the same song with different lyrics. The same song. He might as well stop writing music and start with poetry. He has some decent lyrics at times, which could easily be transformed in some worthwhile poetry. Until then, maybe he can perfect his surfing skills.

Nickelback
'Nuff said.

Maroon 5
Their first hits were all about sex. I haven't really listened since, except for the fact that they are still writing cheesy love songs. They can't perform a decent show if their lives depended on it (yes, I have seen them live... and yes, I fell asleep at the show).

Owl City
I distinctly remember hearing Todd Nuke'em introduce "Fireflies" on the radio as one that reminds him of the Postal Service. I was stoked to hear it, because I highly enjoy anything Postal Service. I listened to "Fireflies" and loved it. I even loved it the second and third and fourth and fifth time. Shoot, I even enjoyed it the tenth time. So, I get my hands on a copy of the complete collection of Owl City, and was oddly surprised to hear the same song, over and over. Funny how that happens! The problem was, unlike Jack Johnson, the lyrics were absurd and pointless. You would almost wonder if Owl City is comprised of a guy in his parent's basement who wrote music on his computer in lieu of sleeping. Insomnia is a terrible thing...

Sublime
This is a bittersweet selection. To start off, I love their style. I love the genre and the feel. I just cannot stand the lyrics. The lyrics remind me too much of rap: sex, drugs, violence, repeat. Demoralizing women is their specialty (while high off drugs). Reinforcing stereotypes that men are shallow, drunk, and horny; that women are helpless sex slaves. Definitely not worth it. Sublime wins the As Tactless As Rap award.

Devo
Note to reader: I have never been a Devo fan, and never will be. I never had a period in my life that I listened to Devo music willingly. I just felt like they needed an honorable mention on my list. A band right out of the 70's who refuses to die, Devo decided to put out an album in 2010. Every time their single came on the radio, I had to scream, tweet about my disgust, and then scream again. Luckily for me, it disappeared as quickly as it surfaced.

---

Ok, when I decide I don't need something in my life any more, I tend to tear it to shreds. I apologize now for the negativity towards these musicians/bands, but it happened how it happened. I suppose I will provide a Like list in the future to act as a yin to this here yang.

3 comments:

  1. I did nearly the exact same thing a little while ago! Owl City is a band that I really liked, but just got sick of hearing the same thing over and over. I also used to LOVE Anberlin and Paramore, but now I'm just sick of them, they don't ever really change their stuff.
    And I used to not really care all that much for Country music, but now I am quite a fan.
    (i did just buy the new Maroon 5 album, and it's the same stuff but I'm not 100% sick of them yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! As I mentioned to you before, it's happening. I have had the same thing happen. When I went on my mission, there were a couple of things I struggled without. Top of the list was definitely Music! (Sorry Mom!) I haven't always agreed with you on music and maybe it is just due to the age thing but the one I have the hardest time with is Sublime. The sound just takes me away to a happy place, then the lyrics start and I have to shut it off as I can feel myself getting darker. Anyways, thanks for the post and hopefully you don't ever lose intrest in family and shed us too! Until next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how about that.. your music taste is the antithesis of mine. Or I could just say opposite.

    The Beastie Boys were typical 18 year old boys when they wrote and produced "Girls"- go figure, they were speaking for the minds of 18 year old boys! Before completely disregarding them, think Free Tibet.

    Nine Inch Nails are awesome. Depressing lyrics? Go figure, Trent Reznor was/is depressed.

    Mostly though I have to disagree with your suggestion that Kurt Cobain's death made Nirvana famous or even kept them famous. 1)Nirvana brought alternative to the forefront of music 2)alternative is still at the forefront of music. 3)Every Nirvana single that hit the charts, save one, did so before his death.
    Understand the confusion?

    Noting another band you choose to disregard- It might be more fitting for you to say instead that Brad Nowell's death made Sublime famous.
    :):)

    ReplyDelete